Thursday, October 06, 2005

on staying up

do you remember those times when we were little and wanted to stay up desperately, for one reason or another (a movie we thought was fascinating but we were too young to watch, to play, but mostly to just hang out with the grown-ups which seemed such an interesting thing to do at the time) but we weren't allowed to? or were too sleepy to stay up?

i remember an evening, i must have been 5 or 6 and i was reading a book in the kitchen, listening to my parents have an ordinary conversation. nothing special, but i found it riveting at the time. but my body was giving up -- my eyes were closing, i was half asleep. my mom saw me and said "alright, let's get you to bed". then i opened my eyes wide and said i was wide awake. alas, my protests didn't get me anywhere but to my bed where i fell asleep as soon as my mom kissed me goodnight. it was so interesting, though. i really wanted to stay up.

why am i writing all this?

i'm supposed to wake up early tomorrow, and it's already 3.14 am. way past the desirable bedtime if you're getting up at 8am.
tonight there's no interesting conversation going on, nor a book to keep my attention (i finished a book last night and i have nothing on my list to read. any suggestions are welcome, by the way). interestingly, i am in the kitchen again. this time, my own. seems like it's my favorite room.
what's keeping me up this time is a song.

today i dug up a song i hadn't heard before. it's by my favorite band of all times -- Moloko. i thought i'd heard everything but gladly, i was wrong. Moloko's "Take My Hand" turned out to be a hidden gem that i'd overlooked among all the different stuff i listen to in my insatiable thirst for music.
i'm not sure i can find the right words to describe the beauty of this song -- the bass walking along elegantly, the pianos dripping like raindrops down the window, the trumpets and the ghostly backvocals lighting sparkles everywhere, the words making me dream and dream, and most of all roisin's voice...so powerful, and self-confident, yet so fragile, warm and feminine...this is liquid poetry. i don't know how else to describe it.

i've been listening to this song for probably five hours straight. and i don't care one bit about how my back aches, how my eyes are closing, and how nasty waking up in a few hours will be. i can stay up now and i'm not gonna miss the fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Fountainhead. Still reading, but so far so good.

Anonymous said...

The Wind-up bird chronicle- Haruki Murakami. It's a great book:)

Anonymous said...

Dan Savage! He will make you laugh your butt off.